Friday, March 25, 2016

ABOUT FACE!!!!! trying to get it down to a dollar a day, but then there's the coffee, should it be counted as food?

So, I continue on this journey and bought the sunflower seeds!!!! The rest of everything is in my cupboard. This weekend was great!!! A little chicken cacciatore which isn't that difficult with everything I already have:
SUPPER

1.  3 ounces per person about $.80, pat dry and season with salt and pepper, brown for 4 minutes on both sides, cover with aluminum foil so the heat doesn't escape and the chicken cooks thoroughly. Then cut into small bite sizes.

2.  Brown 5 regular mushroom ($.10) in EVOO for a few minutes.

3.  Throw in 3 minced garlic cloves ($.01), and a tsp of red pepper flakes.

4.  Add Tomatoes (nothing, gift from my brother), 2 half pints and cook down to about half.

4.  Meanwhile take about 1/2 inch of pasta and cook it to al dente, maybe less, rinse with warm water so it doesn't stick, reserving 1/4 cup of pasta water. ($.01.)

5.  Toss into tomato mixture along with 1Tbsp butter ($.10) along with the chicken and mix until thickened.

Total $1.02 for the meal.

So, I still don't have it down to $1.00 a day.

BREAKFAST

Breakfast is a handful of rolled oats ($8.00 for 7 lbs of groats, which I had sent to me last week, and then rolled about 1/4 or maybe 1 1/2 lbs, for $2.00, so a handfull is about 1/20 of that or $.10), ten cents.

Mixed with fresh blueberries (about 1/4 cup or $.25)

Drizzled with honey $.01

Total $.36 for breakfast

LUNCH

Sandwich, homemade bread about $.05 for rye hoagie bread with mayo and stuff inside, don't know yet. Total about $.50

COFFEE

My nemesis, don't know how to decrease that intake, probably $2.00 a day, so even though it costs more than my food, I'll probably keep drinking it.

TOTAL for food though $1.58.

I'll let you know the next time I keep track.

No comments:

Post a Comment